Tuesday 15 March 2016

Eeling - 'Nature Is Cool'


I think one of the highlights from camp might just be the eeling? I really enjoyed hanging out down by the stream with a small group of boys, and a few girls, as they 'played' around coming up with strategies on how they were going to catch themselves a real live eel. 

When I first arrived at the stream the group of children checked the trap that they had set the night before, but to their disappointment they hadn't caught anything - or so they thought. I was pretty excited to see a little fat Koura snapping around in there. I hadn't seen one of them since visiting my brothers on Scout camp, years ago!!!! Quite a good indication of the water quality in this stream. But it wasn't an eel and this was the goal. So then the discussions began. There were a few 'experienced' eelers in the group who seemed to know what they were talking about and the others nodded in agreement at their plans. The trap was set near the murky depths where they knew the eels were hiding, and the waiting began as the group went off to complete the days activities. 

I didn't get to go back and check the trap again but I hear from a reliable source that one eel was caught (and returned) by the team and that one of the boys was keen to take the trap home and try his luck again. The story continues...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. We love sharing our learning with our community. Please leave a positive message and your name. Feel free to leave a question.